Step 1: Complete Your Pre-license Education
Iowa requires salespersons to complete 60 hours of pre-license instruction from an approved pre-license school. Your pre-license course completion certificate is good for one year.
After the initial 60 hours, you need to take three 12-hour classroom courses in the following:
- Listing Practices
- Buying Practices
- Developing Professional & Ethical Practices
The course completion certificate for these courses is good for one year.
Step 2: Complete a Background Check
Every Iowa salesperson candidate must complete a criminal records check at the state and federal levels. Follow these steps to make a background check packet request.
The IREC will mail you a fingerprinting packet within 3-10 business days. The fee is $51 and can be paid by check or money order.
Your background check results are valid for 210 days. Aim to complete the application process within that time frame.
Step 3: Scheduling Your Salesperson Exam
You need only complete the 60-hour pre-license course before taking the salesperson licensing exam.
PSI administers the Iowa exam. They recommend to register for the exam by visiting https://www.psiexams.com or calling 1-800-733-9267. The exam fee is $95.00 made payable direct to PSI.
Search the website or see the Iowa Candidate Bulletin for an exam center near you.
Step 4: Take and Pass the State Exam
Bring to the PSI test center your Pre-license Course Completion Certificate and two forms of identification with your signature.
About the Iowa salesperson exam:
- National section has 80 questions and a passing score of 56. The time allowed is 120 minutes.
- State section has 40 questions and a passing score of 26. The time allowed is 60 minutes.
- There may be 5-10 unscored experimental questions. These questions are not identified.
The Iowa Candidate Bulletin breaks down the number of questions in each section and their topics.
You will see a score report on-screen immediately upon exam completion. Passing candidates receive real estate license application instructions with their report. You have six months from passing to submit the required information.
Step 5: Buy Errors & Omissions Insurance
Proof of E&O coverage must be provided with all new license applications. A group insurance policy is available with the IREC through Rice Insurance Services Company (RISC). A basic policy cost $144 in 2021.
Any coverage through a private carrier requires your policy to meet the requirements of coverage in Chapter 19 of Administrative Rules 193-E.
Step 6: Find a Sponsoring Broker
All Iowa salespersons work under the supervision of a sponsoring broker. They must sign the Broker Certification section and your original license. No inactive licenses are issued to new candidates.
Step 7: Applying for the Salesperson License
Once you are ready to submit an application, you’ll create an account with My Iowa PLB if you have not done so yet. Your application requires:
- 60-hour pre-license course Education Completion Certificate dated within the last 12 months
- Completion Certificates for all three 12-hour courses in Listing Practices, Buying Practices, and Ethics dated within the last 12 months
- Passing score report for the exam dated within the prior six months
- Proof of E&O insurance in Iowa
- Started or completed the criminal background check
The licensing fee is $125.
Once the Iowa Professional Licensing Bureau approves your application, congratulations! You are an official Iowa real estate salesperson!